Advertisement
return to listing
Louisville Free Public Library Jeffersontown Branch
10635 Watterson Trail
Louisville, KY 40299
Call this Venue
http://www.lfpl.org/branches/jeffersontown.htm
price range:
user rating:
 (0)
venue type: Community Center
venue style: Modern
catering: None Provided - None Allowed
max venue capacity: 40
Is this you? Claim This Venue
Call this Venue
contact this venue
request a quote from this venue

Venue Description

The Library's mission is to provide the people of Louisville and Jefferson County with the broadest possible access to knowledge, ideas, and information, and to support them in their pursuit of learning.

One of our most popular libraries, the Jeffersontown Branch is situated on expansive grounds in a tranquil setting near a bustling industrial park.  Here it is easy to locate business information quickly or stay to read or study.

History: The City of Jeffersontown has had a public library for most of this century. On May 11, 1911, a library, sponsored by the Current Events Club, was started in a "newly papered and painted" room of the Bruce Building on Jeffersontown's historic Town Square. In 1917, the library received books from the Main Library and was moved to the town bank. From 1917 to 1938, it relocated to various locations, including private homes, and was staffed by volunteers. 

In 1939, the library moved to the Municipal Building and later the WPA Recreation Center, the librarians being paid by the Woman's Club. After relocating to the old Jeffersontown High School, the library was closed for four years. It reopened in 1948 on the back porch of Betty Elswick's home. After a stay at this location, the library moved to an annex of the Presbyterian Church, and in 1962 it moved to the Jeffersontown Shopping Center and became part of the Louisville Free Public Library system. From here, the library relocated in 1970 to Colonial Manor, a former county home for the poor. 

The library operated in Colonial Manor until 1994, when the branch returned to the shopping center while a new library was constructed. The new branch library was built next to Colonial Manor, and the $1.5 million branch opened on January 29, 1996. The 14,000-square-foot building features a wing devoted to children's and teen's services and materials, an adult reference area with more than twenty computers, a meeting room available for public use, and a comfortable reading area awash with natural light. The Jeffersontown Museum, under separate management, occupies the south side of the structure.

There are no fees charged for meeting room use.  

Client Reviews

Add a Review

Login or Signup to review this item
Average user rating:
(0)

Map and Directions

Advertisement
 
 

Advertisement

Advertisement