Advertisement
return to listing
Louisville Free Public Library Portland Branch
3305 Northwestern Pkwy
Louisville, KY 40212
Call this Venue
http://www.lfpl.org/branches/portland.htm
price range:
user rating:
 (0)
venue type: Community Center
venue style: Historic
catering: None Provided - None Allowed
max venue capacity: 99
Is this you? Claim This Venue
Call this Venue
contact this venue
request a quote from this venue

Venue Description

The Library's mission is to provide the people of Louisville and Jefferson County with the broadest possible access to knowledge, ideas, and information, and to support them in their pursuit of learning.

The Portland Branch has 11 computer workstations on its main level, with access to the Internet. The computers can also be used to type reports and resumes. The branch has wide variety of books for children and adults, as well as a collection of videos and movies.

History: The Portland Branch Library, 3305 Northwestern Parkway, is the third oldest branch in the Louisville Free Public Library system. Since its founding in 1905, the Portland Branch has continually evolved to better serve the needs of the community around it. In addition to checking out books and magazines, patrons can also use one of the branch’s 11 state-of-the-art touch-screen computers for word processing, filling out resumes, or just surfing the web.

The Portland Branch is also interested in inspiring the next generation of readers and community leaders. Our auditorium is used for children's story times, computer classes, guest speakers, and special events. The auditorium is also available for use as a community meeting room. The Portland Reading Program, a reading enrichment project sponsored by the Lincoln Foundation, uses the auditorium daily during the school year. The Reading Program coordinators, along with a committed group of high school students, help children improve their reading and speaking abilities. The children are from Portland Elementary, grades 1-3.

The Portland Branch Library first opened in rented quarters at 2611 Portland Ave. with a collection that consisted of 1,400 books selected from the Main Branch. The branch moved to Lewis Lodge on 26th St. in June 1907. A grant from the Andrew Carnegie Foundation provided the funds for the Library's permanent building. On October 24th, 1913, the Portland Branch opened in its current location. 

Service to the community has taken many forms over the last century. During the 1937 flood, the Red Cross set up a first aid relief center for flood refugees at the library. It helped more than 1,500 people before the building had to be abandoned. The Portland Branch continues to reach out to the community by forming partnerships with neighborhood schools and service agencies. Hopefully, the library’s second century will be as successful as the first.

There are no fees charged for meeting room use.  

Client Reviews

Add a Review

Login or Signup to review this item
Average user rating:
(0)

Map and Directions

Advertisement
 
 

Advertisement

Advertisement