Advertisement
return to listing
Our Mother of Sorrows
747 Harrison Ave
Louisville, KY 40217
Call this Venue
https://www.archlou.org/parishes/our-mother-of-sorrows/
price range:
user rating:
 (0)
venue type: Church / Cathedral
venue style:
catering:
max venue capacity: unknown
Is this you? Claim This Venue
Call this Venue
contact this venue
request a quote from this venue

Venue Description

Our Mother of Sorrows was established on January 4, 1937, by Archbishop John A. Floersh. It was formed primarily by parishioners from within St. Elizabeth’s boundaries. The famous 1937 flood of the Ohio River paralyzed the city, delaying the assignment of the first pastor, Father Edward Link. At preliminary meetings a census showed 475 families in the new parish. St. Elizabeth generously offered its church basement for religious services.

On April 5, 1937, ground was broken for a temporary church. Dedication of the completed structure took place later that year. Early in 1938 the present school building was completed. The children of the parish were educated by the Ursuline Sisters of Louisville and later by lay teachers until the school closed in 2005.

The parish congregation grew rapidly; on January 26, 1958, the cornerstone of the permanent church was blessed. At the completion of the church building in December 1958, it was debt free.

Through the generosity of many dedicated parishioners throughout the years working in harmony under the guidance of their pastors, the faith community of Our Mother of Sorrows—currently with more than 1,000 parishioners—has evolved. The parish has committed itself to “serving the spiritual, moral and physical needs of our community…. to building God’s kingdom on earth through diversity and outreach of our various parish ministries.”

Client Reviews

Add a Review

Login or Signup to review this item
Average user rating:
(0)

Map and Directions

Advertisement
 
 

Advertisement

Advertisement