Advertisement
return to listing
Saint Edward
9608 Sue Helen Dr
Louisville, KY 40299
Call this Venue
www.stedwardchurch.com
price range:
user rating:
 (0)
venue type: Church / Cathedral
venue style:
catering:
max venue capacity: unknown
Is this you? Claim This Venue
Call this Venue
contact this venue
request a quote from this venue

Venue Description

St. Edward opened in 1878 as St. Agnes Mission, with thirty families in what was then rural Jeffersontown. Father Louis C. Ohle began serving the mission in 1881, the first priest to come from the Preston Park Seminary (now Bellarmine University). Priests from the Passionist Monastery provided pastoral care from 1896 to 1902. On the feast of Saint Edward in 1902, the first resident pastor, Father George Cone, was appointed, while remaining the pastor of All Saints in Taylorsville. Father Theodore Reverman (later the bishop of Superior, Wisconsin) served as pastor from 1903 until 1920. Some of his relatives are still part of the parish.

During the 1937 flood, refugees were housed and fed in the school and church. From the recycled wood used to build the first church, to the generous response to disasters, parishioners are resourceful and ministry-oriented. St. Edward parishioners have built several churches and schools to accommodate the ever-growing, diverse population. The present church on Sue Helen Drive is nestled in a neighborhood setting with a meditation garden for all to enjoy.

The parish school was started in 1903, staffed by the Ursulines of Mount St. Joseph, and continues more than one hundred years later with 525 students. A rapidly growing child development center, providing child care, preschool and after-school services, was developed more than fifteen years ago. As the parish approaches its 125th anniversary in 2009, the pastor and parish leaders are overseeing a master plan with architects for building improvements and expansion to address the need for increased space as the parish responds to growing ethnic diversity and develops future ministries.

St. Edward has been gifted with outstanding pastoral and lay leadership, families of multiple generations, vision and sound financial management. Now numbering almost 3,500, the friendly, welcoming parishioners are involved in more than ninety ministries within Jeffersontown and the broader community.

Client Reviews

Add a Review

Login or Signup to review this item
Average user rating:
(0)

Map and Directions

Advertisement
 
 

Advertisement

Advertisement