Advertisement
return to listing
Saint Elizabeth of Hungary
1020 E Burnett Ave
Louisville, KY 40217
Call this Venue
www.archlou.org/parishes/saint-elizabeth-of-hungary
price range:
user rating:
 (0)
venue type: Church / Cathedral
venue style:
catering:
max venue capacity: unknown
Is this you? Claim This Venue
Call this Venue
contact this venue
request a quote from this venue

Venue Description

St. Elizabeth of Hungary was established in 1906 in a section of town known for shotgun houses, shops and taverns and popularly referred to as “Schnitzelburg.” The parish served second-and third-generation German immigrants, led by Father James Assent, a German immigrant and the first pastor. Father Assent opened a combination church and school in 1906 with 200 students. Staffed by the Ursuline Sisters of Louisville, the school grew into one of the largest Catholic grade schools in the Archdiocese with more than one thousand students, and it produced powerful athletic teams, committed youth and many successful graduates.

Parishioners formed several organizations, including a Boy Scout group; the Kids of St. Elizabeth teen club; a Parent-Teachers Association; and chapters of the St. Vincent de Paul and St. Joseph’s Orphans Societies, among others. Innovative evangelization events have included hosting open-houses at the church for non-Catholics. Parishioners also have implemented outreach ministries allowing Eucharistic Ministers to bring Holy Communion to the homebound and to elderly persons unable to come to the church.

By 1992, the parish had been subdivided several times and the children were not so numerous; therefore, in collaboration with St. Therese Parish and St. Louis Bertrand Parish, the consolidated school of St. Rose was formed. It closed its doors in 2004.

The church, a strong presence in Schnitzelburg for more than 100 years, continues to welcome many former parishioners and loyal alumni/ae of the school in its large, beautiful worship space. While it continues to serve long-time parishioners and is refocusing its mission to meet the social and spiritual needs of an older population, the parish remains a welcoming place for young families, youth and young adults. Without a school, the more than 1,200 parishioners are forging a new identity, meeting challenges and attracting new members.

Client Reviews

Add a Review

Login or Signup to review this item
Average user rating:
(0)

Map and Directions

Advertisement
 
 

Advertisement

Advertisement